Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Truly Postmodern

It occurred to me that writing a blog, one that has no one reading it, is perhaps the ultimate statement of postmodern writing! I suspect that I'm not the first to reach this conclusion, but it's insightful nonetheless. Imagine if you wrote for an entire lifetime and your writing was never read. Would that be a nihilist's dream, or their most horrifying nightmare? Imagine if Shakespeare had written in the modern world and his writings had never been read! They would sit on a server in a digital miasma of information and never, ever be discovered.

I've often wondered how many writings of truly great significance are out in the ether, waiting to be discovered, but never are. Or how many works of significance are never written because some unseen hand prevents the potential author from ever actually putting pen to paper, or, in a more modern context, finger to key. On the one hand it's terribly sad to contemplate; but on the other hand, it makes you marvel at the possibilities!

I'm no Shakespeare, and I don't claim to be writing a masterpiece, but in my own small way, with an audience of one, I am contributing to the unseen oeuvre of the unread!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment